Inspiration, that surge of creativity. An idea for a project, a business or anything else in your life. When life strikes you with a golden idea, which you can capitalize on and turn into something amazing.
Inspiration is something that makes life more interesting, and gives you the creative ideas needed to preform and act to the best of your ability. It allows you to think outside of the box, to approach things from different angles and also to come up with new and original ideas.
So, how do you go about finding inspiration?
Well, first lets discuss ways you do not find it. Methods that do not work. One of the main ones of these is to sit around and wait for inspiration to strike you out of nowhere. Waiting and praying for it to arrive while either doing your normal day to day life, or staring blankly at a new piece of work. And while sometimes you do get random bursts of inspiration in life, it is not the most reliable method as you never know for certain when it will hit you.
It is also very easy and common to let moments of inspiration to slip past your fingers. Thinking that you will remember your new idea, but soon forgetting it in the hustle and bustle of daily life. Waiting much to long to act on the new idea, or even write it down and losing it as a result.
So what can help find inspiration in life? If sitting around does not always work, what more active methods can we use to become inspired. I have listed a few of these below:
- Read more: Reading always helps in building idea as you study more topics in depth. However this does not mean you just have to read non-fiction. Read anything that you enjoy.
- Study outside your profession/discipline: In a world that focuses so heavily on specialization. A lot can be gained from exploring outside of your discipline. As well as ideas that can cross over and help you get ideas for your current disciple or even just aid you in explaining concepts or seeing matters from another perspective.
- Write things down: As mentioned earlier, there is little worse than coming up with a great new idea. Then forgetting about it later on. If you write things down, the idea or thought is recorded forever and even if you do not act on the idea now, it is still neatly saved away for later.
- Meditate on the topic: Find somewhere quiet and just meditate on the topic you are working on, somewhere without distractions. And preferably somewhere away from the computer you are writing on. If you are able to clear your mind and focus on what it is you want to solve, it might be easier to come up with ideas.
- Debate and discussion: Good challenging discussions and debates are some of the best ways for your ideas to grow. Be they concepts you revise and alter due to discussions about them that you have with someone else. Or ideas you never had before which you picked up on from being able to listen to someone else’s perspective.
The list above is non-exhaustive and there are many other things that can help you find inspiration in life. I would personally advise that you experiment and play around with these ideas to see what works for you.
However, as with all things in life. It is best not to simply wait around hoping for a spark of inspiration, and instead go out and seize inspiration in your life.