Reliability is something that can make you be seen as a pillar of strength, someone who can be depended on no matter the circumstance. And something where if you do not have it, can lead you to being seen as a flake, someone fragile and likely to crumble in the face of adversity.
The former is the type of person who if you meet them, becomes someone you instantly and quickly grow to respect. The latter however is someone who you have likely learnt to avoid, to not make plans around given there habit of forgetting said plans.
So the question is what steps you can take to be more reliable. To be a person of integrity, to be one who inspires trust from those around you. Below I have written down some steps that you can take to improve your reliability.
- Keep your promises: Being known as someone who keeps there word is fundamental in being seen as reliable. One of the main mistakes people make when it comes to this is over promising, placing them in a position where logistically they are unable to fulfill their promises despite their best efforts.
- Manage expectations: Similar to not over promising, make sure to be realistic in the services you can provide to others. It is always better to exceed expectations, than set them too high and fail to meet them.
- Take pride in all you do: Take pride in your work, if you do not only is it often more satisfying but the quality of it shall improve as well. Over time this will make you seen as someone who always does tasks well, no matter what they are.
- Bear your own responsibilities: When other people rely on you, you have to carry your own weight so that others do not need to work even harder to do things for you. As well as this, being seen to carry your own responsibilities may encourage others to as well.
- Say what you mean: Being honest in your skill will help people trust you. This also applies to saying you want to break up with someone if you want to, instead of just saying “Lets be Friends” and properly rejecting someone if needed instead of leaving them hanging.
- Be punctual: Arriving on time is a major part of being reliable, don’t leave people waiting. If you say you are going to be somewhere at a given time you have basically promised them that you will be, being late breaks this promise.
Finally being reliable is simply showing up. Being there if someone needs you, even if they do not ask. Being the type of person that people can say with certainty that when needed, will show up and do what is right.
Do all of this and you will be seen as a man of your word. Someone who can be trusted to see things to the bitter end, on the basis of their word alone.